On March 19, 2008, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) issued a bottled water advisory for residents of Alamosa, Colorado, and area residents. The advisory was issued after a Salmonella outbreak was traced to the consumption of water from the Alamosa municipal water system. At that time, 33 cases of Salmonella had been confirmed and were linked to the outbreak; 46 additional cases were pending confirmation and were being investigated. On March 1, 2010, Marler Clark filed a Salmonella Lawsuit on behalf of victims of the outbreak. By March 21, 2008, 138 cases of Salmonella had been reported in connection with the outbreak. Cases ranged from less than a year old to 89 years old. Seven of 47 persons confirmed ill with Salmonella had been hospitalized.
By the end of the outbreak, it was estimated that as many as 1,200 residents had been sickened and one lost his life due to his Salmonella infection. The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s final report regarding the salmonella outbreak stated that animal waste most likely contaminated a concrete in-ground water storage tank. The tank was found to have several holes and cracks. The City of Alamosa, through its insurance carrier, Travelers, agreed to pay $360,000 to 29 Alamosa residents who became ill during the outbreak. Marler Clark waived all fees and costs associated with representing the residents of Alamosa.