- Adzitey F, Huda N. (2010). Listeria monocytogenes in foods: Incidences and possible control measures. Afr J Microbiol Res. 4(25):2848-55.
- Angulo FJ, Baker NL, Olsen SJ, Anderson A, Barrett TJ. (2004). Antimicrobial use in agriculture: controlling the transfer of antimicrobial resistance to humans. Semin Pediatr Infect Dis. 15(2):78-85.
- Bennion JR, Sorvillo F, Wise ME, Krishna S, Mascola L. (2008). Decreasing Listeriosis Mortality in the United States, 1990–2005. Clin Infect Dis. 47(7):867-74.
- Bortolussi R. (2008). Listeriosis: a primer. CMAJ. 179(8):795-7.
- Buzby JC, Roberts T. (2009). The Economics of Enteric Infections: Human Foodborne Disease Costs. Gastroenterology. 136(6):1851-62.
- “Bacterial Foodborne Disease: Medical Costs and Productivity Losses.” U.S. Department of Agriculture, Aug. 1996. Available at: https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/40722/28371_aer741fm_1_.pdf?v=4106
- “Information for Health Professionals and Laboratories.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12 Dec. 2016. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/technical.html
- “Listeria: Prevention.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 17 Jun. 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/prevention.html
- “National Listeria Surveillance.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 13 Sept. 2018. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nationalsurveillance/listeria-surveillance.html
- Cossart P, Bierne H. (2001). The use of host cell machinery in the pathogenesis of Listeria monocytogenes. Curr Opin Immunol. 13(1):96-103.
- Craig AM, Dotters-Katz S, Kuller JA, Thompson JL. (2019). Listeriosis in Pregnancy: A Review. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 74(6):362-8.
- Crutchfield SR, Roberts T. (2000). Food Safety Efforts Accelerate in the 1990’s. FoodReview. 23(3):44-9.
- Ferreira V, Wiedmann M, Teixeira P, Stasiewicz MJ. (2014). Listeria monocytogenes persistence in food-associated environments: epidemiology, strain characteristics, and implications for public health. J Food Prot. 77(1):150-70.
- “Bad Bug Book.” Food and Drug Administration, 2012.
- “Get the Facts about Listeria.” Food and Drug Administration, 3 Aug. 2020. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary...
- Gómez D, et al. (2014). Antimicrobial resistance of Listeria monocytogenes and Listeria innocua from meat products and meat-processing environment. Food Microbiol. 42:61-5.
- Heinitz ML, Johnson JM. (1998). The incidence of Listeria spp., Salmonella spp., and Clostridium botulinum in smoked fish and shellfish. J Food Prot. 61(3):318-23.
- Hoffmann S, Batz MB, Morris Jr JG. (2012). Annual cost of illness and quality-adjusted life year losses in the United States due to 14 foodborne pathogens. J Food Prot. 75(7):1292-302.
- “Economic Burden of Major Foodborne Illnesses Acquired in the United States.” U.S. Department of Agriculture, 12 May 2015. Available at: https://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/pub-details/?pubid=43987
- Landers TF, Cohen B, Wittum TE, Larson EL. (2012). A Review of Antibiotic Use in Food Animals: Perspective, Policy, and Potential. Public Health Rep. 127(1):4-22.
- Lorber, B. “Listeria monocytogenes” in Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett’s Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases, Fifth Edition, Chap. 195, pp. 2208-14 (2000).
- Mateus TJ, Silva J, Teixeira P, Maia RL. (2013). Listeriosis during Pregnancy: A Public Health Concern. ISRN Obstet Gynecol. 2013(2):851712.
- De Noordhout CM, et al. (2014). The global burden of listeriosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 14(11):1073-82.
- Pinner RW, et al. (1992). Role of foods in sporadic listeriosis. II. Microbiologic and epidemiologic investigation. JAMA. 267(15):2046-50.
- Roberts T. (1989). Human Illness Costs of Foodborne Bacteria. Am J Agric Econ. 71(2):468-74.
- Schuchat A, et al. (1992). Role of foods in sporadic listeriosis. I. Case-control study of dietary risk factors. JAMA. 267(15):2041-5.
- Silver HM. (1998). Listeriosis during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 53(12):737-40.
- Jurado RL, et al. (1993). Increased risk of meningitis and bacteremia due to Listeria monocytogenes in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Clin Infect Dis. 17(2):224-7.
- Tack DM, et al. (2019). Preliminary Incidence and Trends of Infections with Pathogens Transmitted Commonly Through Food — Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network, 10 U.S. Sites, 2015-2018. MMWR. 68(16):369-73.
- Tappero JW, Schuchat A, Deaver KA, Wenger JD, Mascola L. (1995). Reduction in the incidence of human listeriosis in the United States: Effectiveness of prevention efforts? JAMA. 273(14):1118-22.
- Tauxe RV. (2001). Food safety and irradiation: protecting the public from foodborne infections. Emerg Infect Dis. 7 (3 Suppl):516-21.
- “Assessing the Effectiveness of the ‘Listeria monocytogenes’ Interim Final Rule.” U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service, 28 Sept. 2004. Available at: https://www.fsis.usda.gov...
- “FSIS Compliance Guideline: Controlling Listeria monocytogenes in Post-lethality Exposed Ready-to-Eat Meat and Poultry Products.” U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service, Jan 2014. Available at: https://www.fsis.usda.gov...
- Välimaa A, Tilsala-Timisjärvi A, Virtanen E. (2015). Rapid detection and identification methods for Listeria monocytogenes in the food chain - A review. Food Control. 55:103-14.
- “Antimicrobial resistance in the food chain.” World Health Organization, Nov 2017. Available at: https://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/antimicrobial-resistance/amrfoodchain/en/
- Zhu Q, Gooneratne R, Hussain MA. (2017). Listeria monocytogenes in Fresh Produce: Outbreaks, Prevalence and Contamination Levels. Foods. 6(3):21.
- Reda WW, Abdel-Moein K, Hegazi A, Mohamed Y, Abdel-Razik K. (2016). Listeria monocytogenes: An emerging food-borne pathogen and its public health implications. J Infect Dev Ctries. 10(2):149-54.
- Santos T, Viala D, Chambon C, Esbelin J, Hébraud M. (2019). Listeria monocytogenes Biofilm Adaptation to Different Temperatures Seen Through Shotgun Proteomics. Front Nutr. 6:89.
- Bahrami A, Baboli ZM, Schimmel K, Jafari SM, Williams L. (2019). Efficiency of novel processing technologies for the control of Listeria monocytogenes in food products. Trends Food Sci Technol. 96:61-78.
- Ferreira V, Wiedmann M, Teixeira P, Stasiewicz MJ. (2014). Listeria monocytogenes persistence in food-associated environments: epidemiology, strain characteristics, and implications for public health. J Food Prot. 77(1): 150-70.
- Schlossberg, D. “Listeria” in Clinical Infectious Disease, Second Edition, pp. 942-8 (2015)
- Shamloo E, et al. (2019). Importance of Listeria monocytogenes in food safety: a review of its prevalence, detection, and antibiotic resistance. Iran J Vet Res. 20(4):241-54.
- Davidson RJ, Sprung DW, Park CE, Rayman MK. (1989). Occurrence of Listeria monocytogenes, Campylobacter spp. and Yersinia enterocolitica in Manitoba Raw Milk. Can Inst Food Sci Technol J. 22(1):70-74.
- “Listeria: Surveillance.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12 Dec. 2016. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/surveillance.html
- “Listeria: For Health Professionals.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12 Dec. 2016. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/listeria/technical.html
- Silk BJ, et al. (2013). Vital Signs: Listeria Illnesses, Deaths, and Outbreaks – United States, 2009-2011. MMWR. 62(22):448-52. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6222a4.htm
- Manning, A. “Microbial Food Spoilage and Food Borne Diseases” in Food Microbiology and Food Processing, Chapter 2, pp. 125-30, (2019).
- Arslan F, et al. (2015). The clinical features, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis of neuroinvasive listeriosis: a multinational study. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 34:1213-21.
- “Controlling Listeria monocytogenes in Post-lethality Exposed Ready-to-Eat Meat and Poultry Products.” U.S. Department of Agriculture, Jan. 2014. Available at: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/regulatory-compliance/guidelines/2014-0001
- Vázquez-Boland JA, Krypotou E, Scortti M. (2017). Listeria Placental Infection. mBio. 8(3):e00949-17.
- Goulet V, King LA, Vaillant V, de Valk H. (2013). What is the incubation period for listeriosis? BMC Infect Dis. 13:11.
- “The Recovery and Transfer of Aerosolized Listeria innocua.” Virginia Tech, 15 Sept. 2017. Available at: https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/78907
- Thønnings S, et al. (2016) Antibiotic treatment and mortality in patients with Listeria monocytogenes meningitis or bacteraemia. Clin Microbiol Infect. 22(8):725-30.
- “Listeria Monocytogenes.” Johns Hopkins ABX Guide, 2 Oct. 2018. Available at: https://www.hopkinsguides.com...
- Olaimat AN, et al. (2018). Emergence of Antibiotic Resistance in Listeria monocytogenes Isolated from Food Products: A Comprehensive Review. Compr Rev Food Sci Food Saf. 17(2):1277-92.
Listeria outbreaks and recalls
August 23, 2023
Listeria outbreak: Three die after drinking contaminated milkshakes
Three people have died, and three others are in hospital after drinking milkshakes contaminated with listeria bacteria in the US state of Washington, health officials say. Marler Clark, the Listeria...
July 21, 2023
Marler Clark Retained by Family of Deceased Listeria Victim
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department announced a Listeria outbreak in Western Washington which resulted in three deaths from an unknown source. Marler Clark, a law firm specializing in foodborne illness litigation...
July 12, 2023
2011 Listeria Outbreak Linked to Cantaloupes: A History
A total of 148 persons infected with any of the five (5) outbreak-associated strains of Listeria monocytogenes were reported to CDC from 28 states. The number of infected persons identified...
May 29, 2023
Why Listeria Stays in Your System for So Long
The amount of time from infection to the onset of symptoms—typically referred to as the incubation period—can vary to a significant degree. Symptoms of Listeria infection can develop at any...