The Las Vegas Sun
June 23, 2009
Nevada today joined 29 other states in reporting two cases of E. coli linked to eating uncooked cookie dough, said Martha Framsted of the Nevada State Health Division.
Both cases were people living in Clark County, said Southern Nevada Health District spokeswoman Stephanie Bethel.
Nationwide, 70 people have become ill with the bloody diarrhea characteristic of E. coli 0157 H7, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.
Of the total number of cases, 47 have been confirmed by tests to be the same strain of E. coli as the type linked to the raw cookie dough.
Most people who become ill are 19 years old or younger -- 66 percent -- and 75 percent of those are women, the CDC's report said.
So far, 30 people have been hospitalized in this E. coli outbreak nationwide.
There have been no deaths reported from the outbreak.
Anyone who has Nestle Toll House refrigerated cookie dough should throw it out, officials said.