The Hawaii Health Department closed Peppa’s on last Thursday after seven people were diagnosed with E. coli infections between March 2 and 23. Four of them had eaten at Peppa’s. Four of the seven were hospitalized, with one still in the hospital yesterday, said Larry Lau, deputy director for environmental health.
Most E. coli illnesses are the result of eating contaminated food or undercooked ground beef and can be accompanied by diarrhea, fever and vomiting. Most people recover without treatment, but those with existing health issues can develop a more severe illness.
Lau said state inspectors suspected Peppa’s because those who had fallen ill ate there. Food-handling violations also were cited in January and during the investigation.