Monday update: Restaurant's reported virus toll hits 344


A total of 344 people have reported becoming ill after eating at Carrabba's Italian Grill on Jan. 28 and Jan. 29, a Barry-Eaton District Health Department official said Sunday.

The reported cases, which have steadily grown over the past week, were apparently caused by a norovirus that can lead to severe vomiting and diarrhea.

"It all continues to be contained within those first patrons that were at the restaurant on Saturday and Sunday," said Penny Pierce, a deputy health officer.

People who think they might have become sick after eating at the restaurant on West Saginaw Highway are asked to call the Health Department at 541-2641.

The restaurant, which has received two citations from the Health Department since the outbreak, remains open.