Merle's BBQ Clostridium Perfringens Outbreak Lawsuit - Illinois (2011)


On February 17, 2011 the City of Evanston Health Department was contacted by Evanston School District 65 regarding 30 people who were sickened after eating food at a parent-teacher night that was catered by Merle's BBQ the previous evening. The ensuing health department investigation determined cited improper temperature controls, storage, and food handling practices by Merle's and determined the cause of the outbreak to be chicken contaminated with Clostridium perfrigens.

On March 1, 2011 Marler Clark filed a lawsuit on behalf of Beatrice Jenkins, a school volunteer and mother who was sickened in the outbreak.