by News Desk | Feb 22, 2012
An Iowa woman has filed suit against the Jimmy John's Gourmet Sandwich chain after suffering from a severe E. coli O26 infection, and alleging that her illness was caused by a sandwich made with contaminated raw sprouts.
In a complaint filed in the Iowa District Court for Polk County, the 27-year-old Des Moines resident says she ate a Turkey Tom sandwich with sprouts at a Jimmy John's store in West Des Moines on Jan. 3, 2012.
On Jan. 5, she awoke with severe abdominal cramps and later in the day, at work, began suffering from bouts of diarrhea. Over the weekend her symptoms worsened dramatically and she began defecating blood.
She saw a doctor, but continued to get sicker and was referred to a specialist on Jan. 11, who ordered a colonoscopy and treated her for severe dehydration. She was rushed to the emergency department of Jan. 12. She says her acute, painful and debilitating illness lasted for three weeks.
Continue reading, "Lawsuit Filed in Jimmy John's Sprouts Outbreak" at Food Safety News.