The Salt Lake Tribune
One Utahn became ill after eating hamburger meat contaminated with the E. coli bacteria, the state Department of Health reported on Tuesday.
The individual became ill with diarrhea and visited a physician who reported the case to health officials, said department spokesperson Charla Haley. The victim was treated and has recovered, she said, adding that no other cases are being investigated at this time.
Supervalu Inc. has recalled ground beef sold under the Moran label in its Albertsons' stores in Utah, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, North Dakota, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming.
"If customers feels uncomfortable, they can exchange the product or get a refund," said Albertsons' spokesperson Donna Eggers. "It doesn't even have to be the exact product that has been recalled."
Although the recalled products had sell dates from April 20 through May 7, items could still be in customer's home freezers.
The recalled products included Moran's brand meat sold in 1- to 5-pound varieties under UPC numbers 34779 60501, 34779 60000, 34779 96000, 34779 91000, 34779 60010, 34779 96194, 34779 21117. Also recalled was Albertsons' 90/10 Sirloin fresh hamburger patties.
Customers with questions about the recall can call by Albertsons' supplier, United Food Group's hot line at 800-325-4164.
E. coli 0157:H7 can cause bloody diarrhea and dehydration. The very young, seniors and people with compromised immune systems are most susceptible to foodborne illnesses. To be safe for eating, ground beef always should be cooked to 160 degrees.