Burma Superstar E. coli Outbreak - California (2013)
Burma Superstar, a popular restaurant located in San Francisco's Richmond neighborhood, closed over Labor Day weekend, 2013 after it was determined to be the source of an E. coli O157:H7 outbreak.
At least 22 diners who ate at Burma Superstar on August 16 or 17 fell ill with E. coli infections. Seven patients were hospitalized due to their infections, with four of those developing hemolytic uremic syndrome, a potentially fatal kidney disease associated with severe E. coli infections. No one died.
Investigators could not pinpoint an exact source of the contamination, but they were able to make environmental health recommendations such as improving employee handwashing and food handling.
Marler Clark represents victims of the E. coli outbreak in legal claims that will be brought against the restaurant.