February 23, 2006
BENTONVILLE - An outbreak of Salmonellos, a sickness caused by the Salmonella bacteria, has sickened 89 people and led to the voluntary closure of a Bentonville restaurant.
The outbreak involves the Sushi King Restaurant, at 2501 Southeast 14th Street, #3 in Bentonville.
According to the state Division of Health, Salmonellosis is a bacterial infection that usually afects the intestines and occasionally the blood streams. It is a common cause of foodborne illness with 737 cases reported in Arkansas last year.
People exposed to Salmonella bacteria may have diarrhea, cramping, fever, nausea, vomiting and headache, while others may have very mild or no symptoms. Infections, however, can be serious, especially with persons with weakened immune systems or the very young or elderly.
The last date of onset of symptoms in people eating at the restaurant was February 14th. Health authorities believe no one has been exposed to the bacteria since that date, although symptoms usually developed from one to several days after exposure.
They encourage anyone who has eaten at Sushi King, become ill and has not reported the illness to contact the Department of Health.
KFSM 5 NEWS is following this developing story and reporter Matt Splett will have the latest in live reports tonight at 5 and 6 p.m.