GRANTS PASS, OREGON
The Associated Press
January 21, 2005
At least 32 people were sickened, apparently with the Norwalk virus, after eating at a Grants Pass restaurant, health authorities said.
Dr. Paul Cieslak, communicable disease manager at the Oregon Department of Human Services, said that lab results will not be back for a few days.
People stricken ate at the Si Casa Flores restaurant Jan. 6-8. Health officials say that there no longer is a risk in eating there.
Cieslak said that Oregon typically has about 100 cases per year and that it is the most common form of food-borne illness.
"Usually, it's from a sick human who has diarrhea, doesn't wash their hands and prepares some food and gets the virus into the food," Cieslak said.
"There's always a possibility food came into the restaurant contaminated. We never did identify which food it was."
Norwalk's symptoms begin 24 to 48 hours after ingestion and typically last a day, Cieslak said. There is no long-term risk.
Symptoms include intense vomiting and diarrhea, Cieslak said.