Holiday Inn Bordeaux Salmonella Outbreak - North Carolina (2013)
An outbreak of Salmonella Typhimurium gastroenteritis occurred in North Carolina during May 2013. One hundred cases were identified and included residents of North Carolina, Alabama, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, and South Carolina. All isolates available for PFGE analysis had identical patterns, representing an uncommon but recurring pattern in the national PulseNet database and for the state. The source of the outbreak was the All American Grill within the Holiday Inn Bordeaux. However, a specific food item could not be implicated during the investigation. One likely reason a specific food item was not identified, as the vehicle in this outbreak was cross-contamination of food products or surfaces in the restaurant. Although sanitizing solutions were tested by inspectors and found to be in compliance, inadequate dish machine temperatures and hand washing could contribute to the cross-contamination. Furthermore, during the course of this investigation, it was revealed that seven food service employees, as defined by the North Carolina Food Code Manual, continued to work while ill. Hotel management was notified that food service employees should be excluded from work until they are asymptomatic for at least 24 hours.
Failure to adhere to guidance requiring exclusion of ill food handlers may have played a role in facilitating ongoing contamination in the facility.
One hundred case-patients were identified: 25 confirmed; and 75 probable.
Salmonella Typhimurium was found to be the cause of this outbreak, and likely caused illness through a variety of mechanisms, including consumption or handling of undercooked food (due to lack of temperature log), consumption of cross contaminated ready to eat foods, and/or contact with contaminated surfaces.
Marler Clark represented individuals affected by the outbreak and achieve settlements covering medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.