Two children have been treated for the potentially deadly E.coli infection at South Tyneside District Hospital, reports the Northeast Press.
The youngsters, both boys under the age of 10, were admitted to the Harton Lane hospital within the last two weeks. One has been discharged and the other is recovering but still receiving treatment.
After the cases were discovered, officers from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) were called in. They are now carrying out an investigation to try to find the source of the infection but it is not believed to have been a public premises.
Ten days ago, a two-year-old girl died after being admitted to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow for contracting an E.coli 0157:H7 infection.
Two other children in the Dumfries and Galloway area were also treated at the same time, but both have since made a full recovery.