- Angulo, FJ, Nargund VN, Chiller TC. (2004). Evidence of an association between use of anti-microbial agents in food animals and anti-microbial resistance among bacteria isolated from humans and the human health consequences of such resistance. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health. 51(8-9):374-9.
- Angulo FJ, et al. (2004). Antimicrobial use in agriculture: controlling the transfer of antimicrobial resistance to humans. Semin Pediatr Infect Dis. 15(2):78-85.
- Aragón TJ, et al. (2007). Case-Control Study of Shigellosis in San Francisco: The Role of Sexual Transmission and HIV Infection. Clin Infect Dis. 44(3):327-34.
- Arvelo W, et al. (2009). Transmission risk factors and treatment of pediatric shigellosis during a large daycare center-associated outbreak of multidrug resistant Shigella sonnei: implications for the management of shigellosis outbreaks among children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 28(11):976-80.
- Baer JT, et al. (1999). HIV Infection as a Risk Factor for Shigellosis. Emerg Infect Dis. 5(6):820-3.
- Bardhan P, Faruque ASG, Naheed A, Sack DA. (2010). Decreasing Shigellosis-related Deaths without Shigella spp.–specific Interventions, Asia. Emerg Infect Dis. 16(11):1718-23.
- Bowen A, et al. (2016). Elevated Risk for Antimicrobial Drug–Resistant Shigella Infection among Men Who Have Sex with Men, United States, 2011–2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 22(9):1613-16.
- Carter JD, Hudson AP. (2009). Reactive arthritis: clinical aspects and medical management. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 35(1):21-44.
- “Food and Water Safety.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 20 Feb. 2020. Available at: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/food-water-safety.
- “FoodNet 2015 Annual Foodborne Illness Surveillance Report.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2 Mar. 2017. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/foodnet/re....
- “FoodNet Surveillance: Active Laboratory Surveillance.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 14 May 2015. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/foodnet/su....
- “The 2012 NARMS Human Isolates Report.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 15 Mar. 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/narms/repo....
- “National Enteric Disease Surveillance: Shigella Annual Report, 2016.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 8 Mar. 2018. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nationalsu....
- “National Enteric Disease Surveillance: Shigella Annual Summary, 2008.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, May 2012. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dfw....
- “National Enteric Disease Surveillance: Shigella Annual Report, 2011.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 14 Jan. 2013. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dfw....
- “National Enteric Disease Surveillance: Shigella Annual Summary, 2012.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 21 Jan. 2014. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dfw...
- “National Enteric Disease Surveillance: Shigella Annual Summary, 2013.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2 Feb. 2016. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nationalsu....
- “National Enteric Disease Surveillance: Shigella Surveillance Overview.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dfw....
- “Outbreak of Gastroenteritis Associated With an Interactive Water Fountain at a Beachside Park – Florida, 1999.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 30 Jun. 2000. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/previ....
- “Preliminary FoodNet Data on the Incidence of Infection with Pathogens Transmitted Commonly Through Food --- 10 States, 2006.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 13 Apr. 2007. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/previe....
- “Preliminary FoodNet Data on the Incidence of Infection with Pathogens Transmitted Commonly Through Food --- 10 States, 2009.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 16 Apr. 2010. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/previe....
- “Shigella – Shigellosis.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 13 Nov. 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/shigella/i...
- “Travelers’ Diarrhea.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 22 Nov. 2019. Available at: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2020/preparing-international-travelers/travelers-diarrhea.
- Cramer EH, Blanton CJ, Otto C. (2008). Shipshape: Sanitation Inspections on Cruise Ships, 1990-2005, Vessel Sanitation Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. J Environ Health. 70(7):15-21.
- Doyle MP, et al. (2000). Reducing Transmission of Infectious Agents in the Home. Part I: Sources of Infection. Dairy, Food and Environmental Sanitation. 20(5):330-7.
- DuPont, H. L. “Shigella species (bacillary dysentery)” in Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett’s Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases, Fifth Edition, pp. 2363-9 (2000).
- DuPont HL, Levine MM, Hornick RB, Formal SB. (1989). Inoculum Size in Shigellosis and Implications for Expected Mode of Transmission. J Infect Dis. 159(6):1126-8.
- “2018 Summary Report on Antimicrobials Sold or Distributed for Use in Food-Producing Animals.” Food and Drug Administration, Dec. 2019. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/media/1334....
- Freeland AL, Vaughan Jr GH, Banerjee SN. (2016). Acute Gastroenteritis on Cruise Ships — United States, 2008–2014. MMWR. 65(1):1-5.
- Gomez HF, Ochoa TJ, Herrere-Insua I, Carlin LG, Cleary TG. (2002). Lactoferrin Protects Rabbits from Shigella flexneri-Induced Inflammatory Enteritis. Infect Immun. 70(12):7050-3.
- Guerrant RL, et al. (2012). The impoverished gut—a triple burden of diarrhoea, stunting and chronic disease. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 10:220-9.
- Gupta A, Polyak CS, Bishop RD, Sobel J, Mintz ED. (2004). Laboratory-Confirmed Shigellosis in the United States, 1989–2002: Epidemiologic Trends and Patterns. Clin Infect Dis. 38:1372-7.
- Hale, T. L., and Keusch, G. T. “Shigella: Structure, Classification, and Antigenic Types” in Baron’s Medical Microbiology, Fourth Edition, Chapter 22 (1996).
- Haley CC, et al. (2010). Risk factors for sporadic shigellosis, FoodNet 2005. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 7(7):741-7.
- “Economic Burden of Major Foodborne Illnesses Acquired in the United States.” United States Department of Agriculture, May 2015. Available at: https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdo....
- Khalil IA, et al. (2018). Morbidity and mortality due to shigella and enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli diarrhoea: the Global Burden of Disease Study 1990–2016. Lancet. 18(11):1229-40.
- Kotloff KL, Riddle MS, Platts-Mills JA, Pavlinac P, Zaidi AKM. (2018). Shigellosis. Lancet. 391(10122):801-12.
- Krilov LR, et al. (1996). Impact of an infection control program in a specialized preschool. Am J Infect Control. 24(3):167-73.
- Livio S, et al. (2014). Shigella Isolates From the Global Enteric Multicenter Study Inform Vaccine Development. Clin Infect Dis. 59(7):933-41.
- Mani S, Wierzba T, Walker RI. (2016). Status of vaccine research and development for Shigella. Vaccine. 34(26):2887-94.
- “Shigella. Infection.” Mayo Clinic, 4 Aug. 2018. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/heal....
- Mead PS, et al. (1999). Food-Related Illness and Death in the United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 5(5):607-25.
- Mohle-Boetani JC, et al. (1995). Communitywide shigellosis: control of an outbreak and risk factors in child day-care centers. Am J Public Health. 85(6):812-16.
- Motarjemi, Y. “Encyclopedia of Food Safety.” Academic Press (2013).
- Murray K, et al. (2017). Increasing Antibiotic Resistance in Shigella spp. from Infected New York City Residents, New York, USA. Emerg Infect Dis. 23(2):332-5.
- Niyogi SK. (2005). Shigellosis. J Microbiol. 43:133–43.
- Philpott DJ, Edgeworth JD, Sansonetti PJ. (2000). The pathogenesis of Shigella flexneri infection: lessons from in vitro and in vivo studies. Phil Trans R Soc Lond. 355:575-86.
- Ranjbar R, Hosseini MJ, Kaffashian AR, Farshad S. (2010). An Outbreak of Shigellosis due to Shigella flexneri Serotype 3a in a Prison in Iran. Arch Iran Med. 13(5):413-6.
- Reller ME, et al. (2006). A Large, Multiple-Restaurant Outbreak of Infection with Shigella flexneri Serotype 2a Traced to Tomatoes. Clin Infect Dis. 42(2):163-9.
- Replogle ML, Fleming DW, Cieslak PR. (2000). Emergence of Antimicrobial-Resistant Shigellosis in Oregon. Clin Infect Dis. 30(3):515-9.
- Ringrose JH, et al. (2001). Influence of infection of cells with bacteria associated with reactive arthritis on the peptide repertoire presented by HLA-B27. J Med Microbiol. 50(4):385-9.
- Roberts T. (1989). Human Illness Costs of Foodborne Bacteria. Am J Agric. 71(2):468-74.
- Rooney RM, et al. (2004). A Review of Outbreaks of Foodborne Disease Associated with Passenger Ships: Evidence for Risk Management. Public Health Rep. 119(4):427-34.
- Scallan E, et al. (2011). Foodborne Illness Acquired in the United States—Major Pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis. 17(1):7-15.
- “Health-Related Costs from Foodborne Illness in the United States.” PEW, 3 Mar. 2010. Available at: https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/r....
- Schroeder GN, Hilbi H. (2008). Molecular Pathogenesis of Shigella spp.: Controlling Host Cell Signaling, Invasion, and Death by Type III Secretion. Clin Microbiol Rev. 21(1):134-56.
- Song Y, et al. (2018). The Epidemiological Influence of Climatic Factors on Shigellosis Incidence Rates in Korea. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 15(10):2209.
- Tack DM, et al. (2020). Preliminary Incidence and Trends of Infections with Pathogens Transmitted Commonly Through Food — Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network, 10 U.S. Sites, 2016–2019. MMWR. 69(17):509-14.
- Taneja N, et al. (2011). Dipstick Test for Rapid Diagnosis of Shigella dysenteriae 1 in Bacterial Cultures and Its Potential Use on Stool Samples. PLoS One. 6(10):e24830.
- Tauxe RV, McDonald RC, Hargrett-Bean N, Blake PA. (1988). The Persistence of Shigella flexneri in the United States: Increasing Role of Adult Males. AJPH. 78(11):1432-5.
- Troeger C, et al. (2017). Estimates of global, regional, and national morbidity, mortality, and aetiologies of diarrhoeal diseases: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. Lancet Infect Dis. 17(9):909-48.
- Trofa AF, Ueno-Olsen H, Oiwa R, Yoshikawa M. (1999). Dr. Kiyoshi Shiga: Discover of Dysentery Bacillus. Clin Infect Dis. 29(5)1303-6.
- Wallinga D. (2002). Antimicrobial use in animal feed: an ecological and public health problem. Minn Med. 85(10):12-16.
- “Global Antimicrobial Resistance and Use Surveillance System (GLASS) Report – Early Implementation 2020” World Heath Organization, 2020. Available at: https://apps.who.int/iris/bits....
- “Reactive Arthritis.” Medscape, 6 Dec. 2018. Available at: https://emedicine.medscape.com....
Foodborne Illnesses / Shigella /
Shigella outbreaks and recalls
February 26, 2020
Mariscos San Juan Restaurant Shigella Outbreak and Litigation - California (2015)
According to a Public Health Warning, on Saturday afternoon, October 17, 2015, the Santa Clara County Public Health Department was notified by a local hospital of 5 patients with fever...
February 11, 2020
Pearl Catering Shigella Outbreak Lawsuits - Oregon (2018)
On August 14, 2018 the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) and Yamhill County Health and Human Services received reports of multiple people with gastrointestinal illness days after attending a wedding and...
November 05, 2014
Salsarita Shigella Outbreak Lawsuit – Arkansas (2014)
Salsarita’s Restaurant in the Walmart Home Office Café in Bentonville has reopened following a Shigella outbreak that made 275 sick in nine states....
July 30, 2014
Shigella Lawsuit Filed against Salsarita's Restaurant in Wal-Mart
Attorneys Bill Marler and Drew Falkenstein of Marler Clark, the nation’s only law firm dedicated to representing victims of foodborne illness, have filed a lawsuit in the Circuit Court of...